North-western State Medical University named after I.I Mechnikov was formed on October 12th 2011, as a result of merger of two oldest educational medical institutions in Russia - Saint-Petersburg Medical Academy of Postgraduate Studies and Saint-Petersburg State Medical Academy named after I.I. Mechnikov.
The founder of Mechnikov university is the Ministry of public health of Russian Federation.
The activity of the University is based on cooperation and coordination of educational, clinical and scientific activity. It makes possible to prepare competent specialists, who possess up-to-date knowledge and are able to use it in practice.
4,200 students (3000 students on budgetary education form and 1200 on fee-based educational form) are studying at the University, among them are 500 students from foreign countries.
Besides that, at the University are studying over 670 interns and about 1500 clinical residents, 460 Ph.D. candidates do their postgraduate work. Up to 35 000 specialists undergo their short- and long- term postdoctoral training annually.
Diagnostic and clinical work at Mechnikov University is managed in 6 own clinics, which capacity is 1645 beds and include 25 clinical specializations. Clinical subdivisions of the University provide high-skilled medical help to 40000 patients at hospital and about 300000 out patiently yearly.
The research work at Mechnikov University is conducted in accordance with recent scientific development directions of biomedical sciences. Considerable attention is paid to studies in the field of health protection and sanitary and epidemiological welfare of population. The long-term strategy is focused on effective transfer of fundamental and applied scientific action results and on building supportive scientific-educational environment, what will make possible to prepare specialist of highest qualification.
North-Western State Medical University named after I.I Mechnikov was founded on October 12, 2011 as a result of merger of two oldest educational medical institutions in Russia - Medical Academy of Postgraduate Studies and State Medical Academy named after I.I. Mechnikov.
The founder of NWSMU is the Ministry of Healthcare of Russian Federation.
The University activity is based on integrity of three main components: education, clinic and research that allow educating highly-professional specialists possessing applied and profound knowledge.
Currently, the total number of students is 4300, foreign students- 356, 2150 clinical residents. About 460 post-graduate students conduct their research works and prepare for thesis defend. Annually, more than 30 000 medical doctors undergo advanced training courses.
Diagnostic and clinical work in University conducted in 6 University clinics in 25 specialties with bed capacity- 800.University clinics provide treatment for more than 40000 in- patients and 30000 out- patients per year.
University research is carried out in accordance with the relevant and current areas of biomedical development. Considerable attention is paid to research in the field of health protection and sanitary and epidemiological welfare of the population. Long-term strategy is focused on effective spread of fundamental and applied research activities and organizing of favorable scientific and educational environment providing continuous training of highly qualified personnel.
University educational work is based on multi-level system of specialists training. University encloses 9 departments: Surgical Department, Internal Diseases Department, Pediatric Department, Biomedical Department, Dentistry Department, Preventive Medicine Department, General Medicine Department, Nursing Care Department, and Foreign Students Department.
- General Medicine Department
- Preventive Medicine Department
- Pediatric Department
- Dentistry Department
- Surgical Department
- Internal Diseases Department
- Biomedical Department
- Nursing Care Department
- Chair of medical biology
- Neurosurgery chair
- Oncology chair
- Gastroenterology and dietology chair
- Ophthalmology chair
- Chair of family medicine
Training of foreign students at the State budget institution of higher education "North-Western State Medical University named after I.I. Mechnikov" under the Ministry of Public Health of the Russian Federation was started in 1947.
Training of foreign students at the Faculty is carried out in accordance with the national and international standards of higher medical education.
The educational level of graduates and their diplomas are recognized by the General Medical Council in many countries (India, Sri Lanka, United Kingdom of Great Britain, Jordan, USA, Middle East, etc.).
For the international scientific society NWSMU named after I.I. Mechnikov provides a wide range of educational services:
- undergraduate programs for graduates in the following specialties: "General Medicine", "Preventive Medicine", "Dentistry"; Master degree program
- training programs for postgraduate studies (Clinical Residency, PhD study);
- various forms of internships and professional development;
- pre-university training programs (Preparatory Department).
Information for foreign applicants
Thank you for choosing North-Western State Medical University named after I.I. Mechnikov, St. Petersburg, Russia.
Below you will find necessary information regarding applying procedures for 2016.
Please be informed that according to its License the University is bound to provide the medical education in Russian only.
- Certified copy of Certificate of Education approved by Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the applicant’s country with notary approved translation into Russian;
- Copy of all pages of National Passport with notary approved translation into Russian;
- Application form for Visa.
Minimum entry requirements exist as a guide to the level of education required to study on each course. The University you apply to will decide if your qualifications meet these requirements when considering your application. It is important to realize that the University's decision is likely to be based on your overall suitability for the course and not only on whether you meet the minimum entry requirements. If you need a visa to come to the Russia to study, the University will need to see the relevant qualifications required for entry to the course before you can go ahead with your visa application. Be prepared, therefore, to send us any additional information on request.
One of the first steps that you should take is to check that the qualifications you hold recognized in Russia and that they would be considered by higher education institution as being suitable for entry into Russian higher education.
Upon reviewing applicant’s copies of National Passport, Certificate of Education and Application form, we apply for Federal Migration Service and applicant’s invitation is expected to be ready within 30 days (1 month). This Invitation can be handed to a applicant’s representative provided he/she has a notary right to do so or can be sent via express post provided the service expenses are covered by the recipient. Please note that the University is not obliged to cover any expenses regarding post service.
Note: Candidates applying for preparatory course are to provide a receipt stating the payment of state tax 800 Rubles for Invitation. The receipt can be provided by applicant’s representative.
Upon arrival a candidate applying for University is to undergo admission tests on the following subjects: Russian, Chemistry and Biology. The tests are in the written form.
Foreigners are expected to provide their documents from 20th June till 04th August 2017.
When candidates arrive to University they are to be registered with the Migration Office of the Foreign Students Department (Office 12 Foreign Students Department Block 32 Piskarevsky prospect 47 St. Petersburg, Russia).
Upon arrival an applicant is to be registered with the Migration Office. In order to be registered an applicant provides the following documents on the 1st day of arrival (except for Saturdays and Sundays)
- National Passport
- Certified copy of National Passport with a notary translation into Russian
- Migration card with a Passport Control Service stamp stated when crossing the boarder of the Russian Federation
- Ticket proving the date of arrival in Russia
- 6 photos 3x4 cm black and white or color
- For applicants aged under 18: parental letter of consent, a certified copy of parent’s passport with a notary translation in Russian, a certified copy of Applicant’s Birth Certificate with a notary translation into Russian. A letter of consent shall grant a right to sign the contracts and agreement for education and accommodation and extra educational services.
If a candidate fails the admission tests or needs intensive course on Russian, he/she may apply for Preparatory Course, where the Russian language and Russian terminology of the main disciplines studied at the 1st year of Medical and Pharmaceutical universities (physics, chemistry, biology) are reviewed.
- We attract your attention that after arriving to Russia for admission to the University, it is necessary to come to the Dean Office of the Faculty of foreign students, room12 (32 building 1st floor) no later than the day following the entry and carry with you:
- Passport with a stamp of the date of border crossing (Checkpoint stamp);
- Visa (for visa entry);
- Migration card with a stamp (Checkpoint stamp) on the date of border crossing;
- Notarized translation of the passport of the Russian Federation (for citizens with visa- free entry);
- Photos - 3x4, 6 photos. (black and white or colored);
- letter of consent from parents, a copy of the passport of the parent who signed the letter, and a copy of the birth certificate for entrant to the University with mandatory notarized translation into Russian (if at the time of documents submission the applicant is under age of 18). Letter of consent entitles minor applicants to sign all concluded contracts (contract for training, contract for hostel accommodation, contract on provision of additional educational services).
- tickets (if necessary may be asked to clarify the arrival date).
During the period of entrance examinations foreign applicants can live in the University hostel at Piskarevskiy pr. 47/45. The hostel consists of units with 8-9 rooms, where 2-3 persons live in a room. There is a kitchen, showers and toilets in a unit. As well as they are provided with bedclothes. The Contract for hostel accommodation concluded between entrant and the University regulates the order of payment, the rights and duties of the parties, responsibility of the parties. Accommodation at the University hostel is possible under conditions of 100 % advance payment according to the price list for applicants and after health check-up in the University health center.
Postgraduate studies and Doctoral training
The North-Western State Medical University named after I.I. Mechnikov has wide experience in training of scientific and pedagogical personnel. For this purpose there are all necessary conditions – scientific schools well-known in our country and world wide, experienced academic staff and modern clinics.
The scientific bases of the University are 16 leading research institutes and centers of Saint-Petersburg.
Our University includes 2 research institutes, central research laboratory, 6 scientific laboratories, department of clinical molecular morphology, department of preclinical and clinical trials, department of patent and license work, library with the sector of medical electronic resources, animal quarters.
The training programs for PhD study are provided in 6 directions with 50 specialties:
- Clinical medicine
- Fundamental medicine
- Preventive medicine
- Biological sciences
- Psychological sciences
Council of young scientists and experts together with the department for organization and development of research holds the conferences of young scientists, reviews, competitions of scientific works and projects.
Department of Pre-Clinical and Clinical Trials
The basic directions of activity of the Department are:
- preparation of documents for accreditation;
- coordination of agreements on science and clinical trials of medicines and products of medical purpose;
- preparation of documents for Research Center related to received drugs, medical equipment;
- means accounting received under these agreements;
- preparation of documents for obtaining money by employees of the Research Centre under the Treaty on the science and in the clinical testing of medicinal products and products medical purpose;
- preparation of documents for reports on scientific and research contracts
- organization of Local Ethical Committee document circulation (documents in the clinical trials, initiative and research work).
Scientific research institutes and laboratories
- Kashkin Research Institute of Medical Mycology
- Endocrinology Research Institute
- Central Research Laboratory
- Research Laboratory of medical navigation innovative technologies
- Research Laboratory of laser and magnetic technologies
- Research Laboratory of cell technologies
- Research Laboratory of functional diagnostic innovative methods
- University Research Dental Center
- Research Laboratory of General hygiene and epidemiology
- Research Laboratory of Arctic medicine
- Clinic named after E.E. Eykhwald
- Clinic named after Peter the Great
- Center of Preventive Medicine
- Center of Medical Mycology
- Center for Family Medicine
- Practical Dentistry
- Center for Medical Cosmetology